It is essential to use equipment appropriate for the game you are hunting. Many problems in the field are solved easily if you are knowledgeable and prepared.
- Select a crossbow that is properly fitted to you and that meets the legal and ethical requirements of the game you plan to hunt.
- Ensure that your equipment is in good operating condition. Make a habit of conducting a pre-hunt inspection of your equipment before each trip. Re-inspect your equipment upon arrival at your hunt location.
- Purchase arrows that are appropriate for your crossbow. Mismatching equipment can lead to poor accuracy, safety problems, and possible injury to you.
- Make sure that the arrows are straight and that their points are sharp and matched to the game you’re pursuing.
- Tune your crossbow to the equipment (such as broadheads) you will be using for hunting.
- Assemble a repair and maintenance kit with spare parts and tools. Your local archery pro shop can recommend items for your kit and give instructions on basic maintenance.
Visual Crossbow Inspection Checklist
The International Crossbow Education Program has developed a checklist for visually checking the condition of crossbow equipment. Click here to view a PDF of the "Visual Crossbow Inspection Checklist."